I gave myself a new needlework tool for Valentine’s Day…It is a laying tool on a beaded lanyard attached to a magnet. I love it! It’s from Merry Needlework Accessories and you can find her on Facebook and Instagram. She sells through shops, but you can contact her to find out who has her stuff.
I’ve started two new big projects. I know, why not one at a time? Well, it’s just not in my D&A to do things logically.
My first project is a jeans jacket, made from old jeans and sewn on a sweat shirt. I bought a sweat shirt 1 size larger than I normally wear, washed and dried it,
and then took it apart.
I am in the process of taking jeans apart and pressing the parts flat. I came across videos on YouTube from Mutsu by Progressive Flow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2T30A-mn3E&list=PL_QONBnEYmyz7GMl8GStIdaXqJqfh3H6c&index=15&t=120s) and was mesmerized by his technique.
So one of my sons had given me seven pairs of his jeans and I decided to try his method…It is pretty slick. As I was taking the jeans apart I decided that I would use the waistbands as the binding for my jacket. I tried to keep the button at the waist but that proved to be more trouble than it is worth. Side Note: you should have seen the look on the Lowes guys face while I was trying to tell him what I was looking to purchase and why…even had the jeans with me to show him. Anyway gave up that idea and am just taking jeans apart.
I wish we had a G-Street Fabric store (https://gstreetfabrics.com/) here like they have in Washington DC; it’s fabulous. But we don’t, so I’sve been to a couple fabric stores here. My favorite is Sarah’s Fabrics (https://sarahsfabrics.com/) in Lawrence Kansas. I’ve bought several fabrics to add to my jeans collection.. More about this project later.
Years ago, several of us bought a 3D pumpkin from Sundance Designs and it had a stitch guide by Ruth Chow. We were all going to get together and stitch it but life got in the way and we never got to it. I think so far only one or two are
completed. Anyway I decided that this would be a good stitching nest project, so I got it out of my stash and of course could not find the stitch guide. I don’t know what happened to it. Then I spent two days going through my threads and pulled every orange-ish thread I have. Decided that I would use the Background Stitch Reference Book from Golden Gate
Canvas Workers Chapter of ANG as my reference for stitches. And I decided since I probably would want to pre audition the stitches I would do hearts and when I’m finished will donate these hearts to the Hearts For Hospice program. See my post about Hearts For Hospice project here: (https://sudukc.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/hearts/)
Then as I was adding tape to the edges I decided that if I was going to put all this work into this project I wanted it to be displayed all fall and not just at Halloween. I really never liked the face of this pumpkin, it was scry
looking to me; I’m more the cutesy-cutesy faces. And I always saw the leaf as a separate canvas and maybe a felt leaf too. So before I mounted on stretcher bars I made a pattern of the leaf and then with the copy machine made three different sizes of the leaf. After I mounted canvas on stretcher bars I painted the leaf and face out of the
I picked three stitches for the first section and drew them on a piece of my graph paper; then using perle cotton I stitches these designs on a heart. The first heart I just grabbed three colors and stitched the three diagrams I had chosen. As you can see from the stitch diagram and the stitching on the first heart I can’t follow my own diagrams.
But this is okay because I will use the stitch from this first heart somewhere else on this pumpkin.
Sec 1 Area 1: Heart is nothing like the diagram, don’t know where my mind was.
sn note: Threads used:
Diagonal stitches: Pure Palette Silk #1028 Lava
Straight stitches: Pure Palette Silk # 1084 Chinese Red
Upright Cross: ThreadworX Vineyard Silk Dyed #166
Section 1 Area 2 Diagramed one way , but reversed to stitch.
sn note: Threads used
Elongated Cashmere vertical: Weeks Dye Works #5 perle Chrysanthemums #2241
Elongated Cashmere horizontal: Krienik#16 Braid color # 127
Section 1 Area 3 And this one I put 4 small diamond stitches at the bottom instead of top. It wouldn’t be me if I were not self creative! It’s either that or I am attention deficit… no comments please….
sn note: Threads used
Dark DMC #3 Perle Cotton color #920
Medium DMC #3 Perle Cotton color #900
Light DMC #3 Perle Cotton color #922
I have Heart 2 diagramed and stitched, and just pulled threads for this section and am starting this afternoon. I try to stitch a couple hours most every day and watch one of the many movies I have saved on a couple movie aps I use.
I will try and keep you all posted as to the progress as I complete each section. I am going to start my jeans jacket soon as I would like to have it to wear this spring so some days may spend making jacket too.
Thank You for stopping by again.
Hope you find time to do whatever makes you happiest and creative AND I hope you have time to do it today and every day…