More on my Pulled Thread study…suggestions wanted

pulled thread 2   pulled thread 3

pulled thread 4

Earlier this week, I blogged about my Pulled Thread Study and I have been thinking on how to complete this project.  I’m leaning toward making a book to hold the postcards.  I would put buttonhole eyelets on each of the postcards and ATCs. The cover would be made wide enough to hold all the postcards and ATCs, and these postcards would be held in the book with ribbons threaded through the buttonhole eyelets and tied through the eyelets on the cover. I also think there will have to be fasteners on the three open sides to help keep the pages together. At first I thought the cover should be hard but now I am leaning toward a less ridged cover. I can use several layers of craft interfacing that will give substance but still be flexible.  

 The other idea is a box and it would not even have to be stitched; although I think a stitched lid would be good.  I guess I have not given this one as much thought as the book, but then a box doesn’t need much thought. I would purchase a box that would fit the postcards and then just add the stitching.

 And as far as the design, I have not given that a thought.

 I also kept notes and diagrams for all my stitch samples and will put these in the computer as a reference.  I have thought about doing one of two things with these notes: (1) Making a booklet to go with the postcard book or (2) making the notes the size of the post cards and adding them to the postcard book or box.

 I have two ideas but nothing is set in concrete and I am open to any and all suggestions. I’m still incubating.

ttfn…sue

My Pulled Thread Study

pulled thread pieces 

 

This spring I decided to teach myself a new technique or at least one I only had a passing knowledge about, Pulled Thread. Armed with about a dozen books I started my quest. I read all the books and soon realized I was going to have to stitch some of the samples. What started out as a study of a new technique soon turned into a project of its own with its own loosely planned planning process. I must admit there was not a lot of thought process in this planning stage; I knew I did not want a “trophy project” but I didn’t want just a “doodle cloth” either.

 

 SideBar into thought process of Project: Last year I also became aware of ATC (Artist Trading Cards) and “Inchies”. All of these are big in other fiber and applied art form communities. I made an ATC (https://sudukc.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/adaptation/) from a design from Grace at Baryard Chatter (http://barnyardchatter.wordpress.com/ ). The two main rules for ATCs is they are should be 2 ½ inches by 3 inches in size and MUST be traded or given away not sold. I also did several “Inchies”, one inch of stitching. Again the requirements were simple one inch of stitching…not an easy task even on Congress cloth. Inchies were fun and great for the TV watching, but I did not know what I was going to do with them once they were completed. One “inchie” project I turned into an ATC and I framed it… I use part of it as my header for this blog (https://sudukc.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/inchies-turned-atc/ ). I since have incubated the “Inchie” idea and have come up with a few ideas I’ll share as they materialize.

 I had also become aware of stitched postcards about this time also. Some The Liberty Memorial in Kansas City (http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/index.aspx) has a lovely collection of these postcards. They are refered to as WWI Silks; they are beautiful and someday I hope to own one. Here are some reference sites if you wish to explore further:

Gabrina Postcards: http://www.gabrian.co.uk/

NeeldlePrint Blog: http://needleprint.blogspot.com/2009/05/embroidered-silk-postcards-from-world.html

Silk Postcards: http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/silks.html

Better Homes and Gardens had a blog on how to:

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/better-homes-gardens/11906/better-blogs-making-a-silk-postcard/

 

At first I thought I would do each stitch sample on a soft ground as well as needlepoint canvas and I would make ATC size. That idea was soon dismissed as unpractical and would take longer than I intended. I decided a postcard sized format stitched on 18 count canvas was the most practical method for my purposes and it would still be manageable as “Take-a-long” project.

And so I started with Satin Stitches and progress through Cross Stitches, Faggot Stitches, Four-sided Stitches, Double Back Stitch, Wave Stitches, Eyelets, Buttonhole and misc stitches. I soon realized that Pulled thread is a technique that takes patience and planning. There are stand alone projects for those who enjoy this technique and well done work is very lacy and beautiful. Those who love doing it spend a lifetime perfecting their art.  But I will probably not do more than incorporate some of the stitches into my needlepoint occasionally.

 But my pulled thread study now has a life of its own, 11 postcards and 2 ATCs; and I have decided it deserves to be joined together in some fashion. Sounds like a great winter project. Later this week I’ll share my ideas for putting the postcards together.

 If you want to read more about Pulled Thread, start with these blogs:

Stitching Fingers: http://stitchinfingers.ning.com/  that has a Pulled and Drawn thread group

Needlework Tips and techniques http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/needlework-blog.html